Interior Design Major

9:14 PM Unknown 0 Comments


As you may know if you read my about me section, I am currently majoring in interior design. Usually when someone asks me what I study, it usually goes along these lines:

"Oh wow, so you can decorate my house right?"
It honestly takes everything in me to stop myself from cringing when I hear that, but most of the time I just smile politely and I wait for the subject to be changed.

Truth is, it is a very common misconception that interior designers are decorators and honestly that is not true! You don't even need a degree to be a decorator. 

Interior design is much much more! Although this is my third year in college, I changed majors early on in my freshmen year, so it is actually only my second year in the ID program.

(In my school you actually have to apply and go through a special type of selective admission to get into the program) 

I have learned so much in this short amount of time such as hand drafting, building codes, computer renderings, and so on. 

I'm constantly amazed at what an amazing field interior design is. And to be honest, I am absolutely in love with what I study. 

Of course I'll complain about my professors or doing projects at times, but it really is fulfilling. Interior Design affects everyone and it's up to us to accommodate the needs of a client.

Another misconception is that we only do residential projects. 

Also not true, there are many areas that you can go into such as commercial, hospitality, furniture design, and so on. For example, two of my professors just finished designing a hospital. 


Above is my very first business I designed for my computer visualization class last semester. I know it's far from a professional level, but it gives you a glimpse of what we do. 

If anyone out there is reading this and you have any type of interest in this, I definitely encourage you to do some research and look into it. It really is an amazing career, but you really do have to love it. 


If you have any more questions about majoring in interior design, please feel free to ask me! 

You can also to continue to check up on my blog as I will frequently be updating my readers on my latest projects.

"Love what you do, do what you love" 

Have a great weekend!

-m




0 comments: