New Semester, New Projects

9:38 PM Unknown 0 Comments

To kick off the new semester, my professors have already assigned me two projects due this week!

It's all good though because if there is one thing I learned from my past semesters, freaking out about time won't help, you just got to get it done. 

I'm taking a color and illumination class (even though they will only be teaching the color part this year) and for our first "project" we had to make four gradients out of newspaper. 


I'll be honest, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of this exercise at first. It sounded like something you would give a little kid to do. But it did grow on me and I actually did underestimate it. 



I started from darkest to lightest cutting up strips of newspaper and pasting them on simple white paper that i had measured. 1 1/2" in height and 1/2" in width. 


Of course I use this baby. Compared to other x-acto knives, I love how this one is retractable. 



 Unfortunately, I gave in and used glue stick for this project since it would allow me to move newspaper around in case I messed up (which I did many times). I really don't like this type of adhesive, it gets EVERYWHERE.  On my hands, on my desk, and on my project. It's difficult to avoid smudges, but it's also really easy because it dries so quickly. 



Once I had all my strips pasted, I simply cut the edges to give it a polished finished. If I had more newspaper to choose from I think I would have been able to get a better flow with my gradients, but for the first assignment I'm content with it. Looking at the same colors so closely for hours (yes this actually took me hours) can be kind of trippy. 

On another note Friday is almost here! I wish you all a great weekend! 

-m







0 comments: